The High Country of North Carolina is definitely a pet friendly vacation destination. You will find dogs walking in the downtown areas and the outdoor trails of Boone, Blowing Rock, West Jefferson and Wilkesboro any day of the week. The Blue Ridge Parkway, which runs through the heart of the High Country, is third on the Top 10 Best Pet Friendly Vacations list on Petside.com!
- Outdoor Attractions – The outdoor attractions of Grandfather Mountain, The Blowing Rock and Hickory Ridge Living History Museum allow you to bring your dog in, although some areas (such as the animal habitats!) are off limits.
- Hiking Trails – All of the trails on the Blue Ridge Parkway (except Rough Ridge) and at North Carolina State and town parks located in the High Country are dog friendly as long as you keep your dog on a leash.
- Free Outdoor Festivals – Many of the free outdoor festivals, such as the Sparta Mountain Heritage Festival, North Wilkesboro Brushy Mountain Apple Festival, Beech Mountain Mile High Kite Festival and Blowing Rock Independence Day Celebration allow dogs to join in on the fun! Call High Country Host to find out if a festival allows pets: 1-800-438-7500
- Free Outdoor Music – All of the free outdoor concert series are dog friendly. See our list of free music venues, CLICK HERE
- Restaurants – Some restaurants will allow you to bring your dog(s), if you dine outside. A few restaurants in Boone that allow dogs on the patio are Melanie’s Food Fantasy, Hob Nob and Murphy’s in Boone. Quizno’s in Banner Elk is another good option for dining with your dog if you are on your way to Grandfather Mountain. The Alpen Restaurant at Beech Mountain and Bistro Roca in Blowing Rock allow pets on the porch with diners in the summer. The Hotel Tavern in West Jefferson allows pets on the patio (and the patio is complete with heaters in the cooler months!)
- Lodging – All campgrounds in the area allow pets, you can view campgrounds here. Many cabins, condos and hotels in the High Country are pet friendly. Pet Friendly Hotels in Boone, NC include: Baymont Inn & La Quinta. Pet Friendly Hotels in Banner Elk, NC include: Best Western Mountain Lodge. For information on cabin & condo rentals that allow pets, please call the visitors center at 1-800-438-7500
- Dog Parks- The Watauga Humane Society Dog Park in Boone NC provides over 3 acres of play area and is open to visitors for $3 a day. Find more information here: http://www.wataugahumanesociety.org/catalog/dog-parks-pd-35.php If you are visiting Banner Elk, Tate-Evans park has a free dog park. Beech Mountain Bark Park is a beautiful and free dog park located in the heart of town across from the Beech Mountain Chamber.