Mile High Kite Festival Beech Mountain NC- Sept 1-2 2018
The Mile High Kite Festival, Beech Mountain, NC is Sept 1-2, 2018 in the town meadow. Located at more than 5,000 feet in elevation, the high-altitude meadow makes it easy for children of all ages to sail their kites up to a mile above sea level. The festival includes kite-flying music and demonstrations by the Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society of Charlotte and the Richmond Air Force Kite Club from Virginia. Prizes will be awarded for the biggest kite, smallest kite and best decorated kite. Other activities include races with kids pulling parachute kites, face painting, and a variety of craft and food vendors.
- Don’t have a kite? Fret not. There will be kites for sale, and the first 300 kids (12 and under) receive a free one. Folks who have kites are welcome to bring their own.
- Food Vendors will be at the festival, but there are also great restaurants, including a brick oven pizza place beside the festival!
- There are kiddie rides on site as well, so bring some cash
- There are plenty of plastic chairs to sit in, but bring a chair or blanket just in case.
- Dress in layers and wear sunscreen. The weather can change fast atop a mountain!
- Make it a weekend at Beech Mountain:
(1) Take in the amazing views from the scenic chair lift rides at Ski Beech
(2) Visit Fred’s General Mercantile and purchase a souvenir (they also have a wide selection of outdoor clothing)
(3) Get back to nature with one of the miles of hiking and biking trails atop the mountain.
- Pinnacle Inn condo rentals and Four Seasons at Beech Hotel are within walking distance of the festival grounds.
To plan your trip to Beech Mountain, CLICK HERE