When visiting the High Country with children, you will want to take advantage of the great outdoors (weather permitting). Our cool climates in the summer and fresh air make the national, state and local parks in the High Country ideal locations for a day of fun! Here is a list of parks that have child friendly activities:
BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY
· Julian Price Park– Milepost 297 (near Blowing Rock and Boone)
The park features many picnic tables, some in fields and others tucked in private shaded coves. The park features many meandering streams that can keep a child busy for hours searching for rocks, build dams and catch crawfish!
· Museum of NC Minerals- Milepost 331 (near Linville)
The museum features many minerals found at nearby Spruce Pine and throughout the state. The museum has fun and interactive displays.
· Rendezvous Mountain Education State Forest- (near Wilkesboro)
Hike along the Logging History Demonstration Trail and Forest Demonstration Trail as the trees tell their stories on the Talking Tree Trail. Picnic facilities also on site. For directions, call 336-667-5072.
· New River State Park- 358 New River State Park Road, Laurel Springs, NC 28644
The visitor center offers a variety of interactive and hands-on exhibits and displays of maps, animal tracks, forests around New River valley, local bird species, early culture, watersheds and river basins, protecting water quality and much more.
COUNTY & TOWN PARKS
· Tate-Evans Park– 210 Park Ave, Banner Elk
This park features 2 playgrounds, picnic area, volleyball court, a wading pool and amphitheatre
· Buckeye Recreation Center- 206 Grassy Gap Creek Rd, Beech Mountain
The recreation center features free fishing for children under 15, basketball, tennis and snowshoe rentals in the winter.
· Blowing Rock Memorial Park- 1026 Main St, Blowing Rock
Features a public pool, picnic tables, playground and tennis courts
· Watauga Recreation Complex- 231 Complex Dr, Boone
Features a playground, indoor swimming pool and a paved greenway trail along the New River
· Boone Jaycee Park- Horn in the West Drive, Boone
Playground, picnic shelter and grills are available
· Ashe Park- 527 Ashe Park, Jefferson
Features picnic shelters, horseshoes, fishing pond, disc golf course, volleyball and basketball courts
· West Jefferson Park- 203 W Main St, West Jefferson
Features picnic tables & grills, playground, tennis & basketball courts