Sugar Mountain Fall Color Festival Guide 2020
Our Sugar Mountain Fall Color & Festival Guide 2020 highlights when to visit to see the best fall leaf color, best fall hikes and Blue Ridge Parkway overlooks, fall festivals, corn mazes and apple picking not to be missed!
BEST SUGAR MOUNTAIN FALL LEAF COLOR VIEWING TIMES
Leaf color prediction forecasts are done based on elevation (Sugar Mountain's Elevation is 4,100-5,300). Some things to consider that effect leaf color is the amount of rain, wind and heat the High Country receives during September and October. That is something we cannot predict! Normally, the 2nd and 3rd Week of October are the best times to view peak leaf color in Sugar Mountain NC.
- View the latest leaf color prediction from Appalachian State University's Biology Department starting mid-September HERE
- View Grandfather Mountain's daily fall color photos starting in October HERE
- Sugar Mountain will be updating the town website with fall color reports and info on smaller events taking place on the mountain. You can view HERE
BEST SUGAR MOUNTAIN NC FALL VIEWS
- Scenic Fall Color Lift Rides
Sugar Mountain Resort, 2nd & 3rd weekends of October
The fall color lift rides will take you (and up to 5 family and friends) from the base of Sugar Mountain to the 5,300' peak. On the way back down, enjoy the views of surrounding towns Banner Elk and Seven Devils. OR, take one of the hiking trails back to the base and enjoy the leaf color while listening to the birds and fall wildlife.
Rough Ridge Trail
Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 302.9
This 1.45 mile trail overlooks the Linn Cove Viaduct and the meandering Blue Ridge Parkway below. While the views are spectacular, the walk to get there is not that strenuous. View our entire guide to this Banner Elk section of the Blue Ridge Parkway HERE
Tate Evans Park
Located only 10 minutes away in downtown Banner Elk, this park has a greenway trail, fishing spots and lots of picnic tables. Grab a coffee at one of the cafe's located across the street and take in the fall color on your stroll.
SUGAR MOUNTAIN NC FALL FESTIVALS
Sugar Mountain Resort
The event features a Bavarian atmosphere with live music, arts & crafts, kids activities, Bavarian food & drinks + lots more! For details, click HERE
- For a list of fall festivals in the region, click HERE
SUGAR MOUNTAIN NC FALL ACTIVITIES
- WILDERNESS RUN ALPINE COASTER
Take in views of the fall leaves like never before on the High Country's newest attraction- an alpine coaster. Ride down the mountain solo at speeds over 25 mph for an invigorating experience! Find details HERE
- View a list of apple orchards and corn mazes in the region HERE
- Looking for a place to stay? Rooms can book quickly during peak leaf color and festival weekends. Call the regional visitor center for more information on the best times to visit and for the most up to date availability at 828-264-1299.