Boone NC Fall Color Festival Guide 2020
Our Boone NC Fall Color & Festival Guide 2020 highlights when to visit to see the best fall leaf color, best fall hikes and Blue Ridge Parkway overlooks, and fall festivals, corn mazes and apple picking not to be missed!
BEST BOONE NC FALL LEAF COLOR VIEWING TIMES
Leaf color prediction forecasts are done based on elevation (Boone's Elevation is 3,333). Some things to consider that effect leaf color is the amount of rain, wind and heat the High Country receives during September and October. That is something we cannot predict! Normally, the 3rd Week of October is the best time to view peak leaf color in Boone NC.
- View the latest leaf color prediction from Appalachian State University's Biology Department starting mid-September HERE
BEST BOONE NC FALL WALKS
- Howards Knob
With an elevation of 4,420 feet, Howards Knob offers unparalleled views of Boone and Appalachian State University and is located less than a mile from the downtown Boone area. The park features picnic tables and shelters, restrooms, and several lookout points.
Located across the street from Hickory Ridge, Strawberry Hill has a short nature trail that leads to a fantastic view of Boone. INSIDER TIP: At the top of the hill is a large stone patio that is perfect for picnics.
Boone NC Greenway Trail
A local favorite for walking, biking and letting your dog stretch there legs is the Greenway Trail. The trail is flat, paved and meanders through town, over creeks and through wooded areas. There are plenty of places to stop for a picnic at a sheltered table, go fishing, and find a parking spot. HERE is a detailed map of the trail.
- Rocky Knob Park
Opened in 2011, Rocky Knob Park has trails for both hiking and mountain biking. The park has 5 trails with the longest being 4 miles. The wooded trails have pleasing views of Boone. The park also has a natural playground, picnic shelter, pump track and restrooms.
BOONE NC FALL FESTIVALS
- For a list of fall festivals in the region, click HERE
BOONE NC FALL ACTIVITIES
Harvest Farm Corn Maze & Pumpkin Patch
Harvest farm is located almost next door to the Original Mast General Store. The farm has a 7 acre corn maze and is open Friday-Sunday only. LOCAL TIP: The farm also features a beautiful pumpkin patch that is great for family photos! After visiting the farm, go across the street for lunch or dinner at Over Yonder Restaurant, or head to Valle Crucis Park and get a cone of ice cream.
- Take a zipline tour and see the leaf color from inside the canopy! View a list of zipline tours HERE
- Take a stroll down King Street and pop into some local businesses (view our downtown Boone daytrip itinerary HERE). End your day with drinks at the new rooftop lounge in the new boutique hotel in downtown Boone, The Horton Hotel.
- Grab a sculpture walking tour map at the Turchin Center and take a walk around Appalachian State University's Campus to catch the true fall college vibe.
- View a list of apple orchards and corn mazes in the region HERE