Blowing Rock NC Fall Color Festival Guide 2021
Our Blowing Rock NC Fall Color Festival Guide 2021 highlights when to visit to see the best fall leaf color, best fall hikes and Blue Ridge Parkway overlooks, and fall festivals, corn mazes and apple picking not to be missed!
BEST BLOWING ROCK NC FALL LEAF COLOR VIEWING TIMES
Leaf color prediction forecasts are done based on elevation (Blowing Rock is in the 3,000-4,000 elevation category). Some things to consider that effect leaf color is the amount of rain, wind and heat the High Country receives during September and October. That is something we cannot predict! Normally, the 3rd Week of October is the best time to view peak leaf color in Blowing Rock NC.
- You can view the Blowing Rock Fall Color Photo of the Week starting on late November HERE
- View the latest leaf color prediction from Appalachian State University's Biology Department starting mid-September HERE
BEST BLOWING ROCK NC FALL HIKES
- Moses Cone Park Flat Top Tower Trail
Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 294, 3.7 Miles
This is a fabulous trail that starts at the Moses Cone Manor. The trail goes through a forested area, opens up to a wide open fielded area and ends at a fire tower. Climb to the top of the tower for 360 degree views of the mountains fall spendor!
- Price Lake Loop
Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 297, 2.3 Mile Loop
This forested trail offers views of the leaves reflecting off the water. If you don't want to walk, rent a boat, canoe or kayak at the Price Lake Boat Rental and get a view of the leaves from the water instead.
- Green Knob Trail
Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 295.9, 2.3 Mile
This 2.3 mile trail is a favorite for locals. It starts in the woods passes by many pools of water, opens into a grassy field with a rewarding view of Grandfather Mountain at the top of the knob.
- Glen Burney Trail
243 Laurel Lane, Blowing Rock, 2.4 Mile
This wooded trail takes you to two waterfalls along an 800 foot descent. Falling leaves on swirling water Coveniently located in downtown Blowing Rock, you can walk to this trail from all downtown locations!
BEST BLOWING ROCK NC FALL LEAF COLOR OVERLOOKS
- The Blowing Rock
The Blowing Rock Attraction has the best fall color view in town! Catch a view of the John's River Gorge from 4,000 feet. You can get a view from the overlook, climbing on the rock, or from a viewfinder. (Plus, if the leaves have already browned in Blowing Rock, you can see the color just brightening at lower elevations.)
- Thunder Hill Overlook
Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 290.4
One of the most visited overlooks on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Thunder Hill offers one of the best long range views of the piedmont of North Carolina.
BLOWING ROCK FALL FESTIVALS
- Blowing Rock Art in the Park
Saturday, Oct 2, 10am
Downtown Blowing Rock
This juried art show features over 30 artisans. Held beside the town park for easy strolling.
- Blowing Rock Halloween Festival
Saturday, Oct 30
Downtown Blowing Rock
- Trick or Treat Halloween Spooktacular
Sunday, Oct 31
Tanger Outlet Mall
- For a list of fall festivals in the region, click HERE
BLOWING ROCK FALL SOCIAL DISTANCING ACTIVITIES
- Take a stroll down Main Street and view all the spectacular fall window displays (maybe even pop into a store or two!). Then, stop by Kilwins for some seasonal pumpkin fudge or pumpkin pie ice cream. Eat you ice cream on one of the park benches across the street and watch the kids play in the park.
- Grab a coffee at the newly opened Bald Guy Brew and head over to Bass Lake for a walk under the big oak trees. Then, hop in the car and drive south on the parkway to the Cone Manor for a tour of the former home of the "Denim King."
- Take in the fall color with a zipline tour! What better way to see leaf color than from inside the canopy. View area ziplines HERE
- View a list of apple orchards and corn mazes in the region HERE
- Looking for a place to stay in Blowing Rock during the fall? Rooms can go fast! Call the regional visitor center to learn more about sell-out weekends and who has availability at 828-264-1299. You can browse Blowing Rock lodging HERE