Owning a North Carolina Mountain Home is a treat no matter what season. In fact, one of the best reasons to own a mountain home is the chance to see all 4 seasons! Here is a great list of ways to protect your home over the winter season and links to local vacation rental property management companies and handyman that can help your weatherize your home:
- Driveway: invest in a snow shovel, salt and de-icer if you plan on staying or visiting you mountain cabin or home in the winter months
- Water: make sure your pipes are insulated and your outdoor water valve is off
- Outdoor Furniture: make sure to cover or store your outdoor seating, grill, etc.
- Trees: make sure your trees are properly pruned so that limbs will not break during a heavy snow or ice storm and damage your home, power lines, etc.
- Gutters: clean fall leaves and debris from your gutters so that melting snow and rain can properly drain away from your home
- Windows: remove & store window screens until summer. Install and/or invest in storm windows if you do not have double-pane glass
- Roof: inspect & repair your roof for missing shingles and torn flashing. Your don’t want to have a water leak due to heavy melting snow!
- Chimney: make sure to cap or screen the chimney opening so birds and animals do not try to stay warm in your chimney. Also, have your chimney cleaned so you do not have a chimney fire or smoke damage.
- Doors: install weather stripping on your doors to insure less heat loss
RENTAL MANAGEMENT COMPANIES & HOME MAINTENANCE REPAIR