NC High Country Rainy Day Activities: Expecting snow or sunshine but the rainy weather got you down? We’ve got you covered! There are plenty of activities to fill your time so that none of it goes to waste.
BOONE & BLOWING ROCK AREA
- Museums & Galleries: Visit the Appalachian Heritage Museum, which was started as a labor of love for the history of the Appalachian Mountains, and the Native American Artifacts Museum, which has a remarkable collection of over 50,000 Native American artifacts collected from 23 different states. Both attractions are located at Mystery Hill at 129 Mystery Hill Ln. Blowing Rock, NC, 28605. The Blowing Rock Art & History Museum (BRAHM) hosts rotating art & craft exhibits and special art classes for children and adults.
- Shopping: You will fine a plethora of shops located in downtown Boone on King’s Street as well as in Blowing Rock on Main Street, the Tanger Factory Outlet Mall in Blowing Rock made up of 28 stores, and the Dewoolfson Down International headquarters Shop that produces America’s finest quality white goose down comforters, pillows, and feather-beds. There are also many indoor flea markets and thrift stores across the area, and we will be happy to provide the full list here at the Visitors Center in Boone.
- Movies & Bowling: Visit the Boone Bowling Center which is a beautiful family owned and operated 16 lane center established in 1982, or the Regal Boone Cinema 7 which showcases a variety of new movies in 7 deluxe theaters.
- Gem Mining: Indoor mines are available at Foggy Mountain Gem Mine which is located at 4416 NC Hwy 105 South, Boone, NC 28607, and Doc’s Rocks which has many different activities offered at great rates and is located right near Mystery Hill!
- Spas: Treat yourself to a half-day sampler at the Westglow Spa located at 224 Westglow Circle, Blowing Rock, NC 28605 or Chetola Resort located at 185 Chetola Lake Drive, Blowing Rock, NC 28605.
- Dine Out: There is an abundance of options for dining out in Boone; see the Boone Independent Restaurants Guide or view our menu book here at the Visitors Center in Boone!
- Mystery Hill: Visit Mystery Hill for fun for the whole family! This unique entertainment center has five attractions under one roof including the original Mystery Platform, the Mystery House, the Hall of Mystery, the Native American Artifacts Museum and the Appalachian Heritage Museum.
- Live Performance: The Appalachian State University Hayes School of Music provides diverse performances available to the community at a fraction of ticket prices offered in other locations making it one of the best deals around, the Jones House which doubles as a historic building and a community center open to the public in downtown Boone offering many activities and special events throughout the year.
- Coffee: There are many locations to enjoy coffee in the Boone & Blowing Rock areas, including Stickboy Kitchen & Bakery which has a wide range of baked goods and a full espresso and smoothie bar, Grateful Grounds located at 605 W King St, Boone, NC 28607, Higher Grounds located at 201 New Market Center #10, Boone, NC 28607, and Starbucks which is located inside of Harris Teeter.
- Caving: Caving is a great way to stay active on a cold, rainy day. The temperature in the caves stays at 59 year round. Schedule a caving trip HERE.
BANNER ELK, LINVILLE & LITTLE SWITZERLAND AREA
- Art: Visit the Weaving Room at the Crossnore School which contains a wide array of artwork and classes as well as work done by Ben Long Frescoe or the Carlton Gallery which is one of the most established Fine Art galleries in the High Country featuring artwork in all mediums with over 200 artists.
- Winery: Sample the wines of the Banner Elk Winery which is also a luxury bed and breakfast offering the perfect place to get away and relax or the Linville Falls Winery which is open 7 days a week 12-6PM and is family owned and operated.
- Caverns: The only show caverns available in North Carolina are the Linville Caverns where visitors are invited to explore the “splendor and wonders nature created ‘inside a mountain.'” The caverns are located at 19929 US 221 North, Marion, NC 28752.
- Gems: Visit the Museum of N.C. Minerals located on the Blue Ridge Parkway which showcases over 300 varieties of minerals and gems, Gem Mountain on Hwy 226 in Spruce Pine or Emerald Village Real Mine Tour off the Parkway which both offer the opportunity to explore and find gems on your own to keep and cherish!
- Valle Crucis: Shop at the Original Mast General Store or eat at the Simplicity Restaurant at Mast Farm Inn which is open Friday & Saturday from 5:30 PM-9:00 PM.
WEST JEFFERSON AREA
- Museums & Galleries: Visit the Churches of the Frescoes which include Saint Mary’s in West Jefferson and Holy Trinity in Glendale Springs, the Ashe County Arts Council which has a wide range of artistic performances and show casings, Ashe County History Museum, or the Florence Thomas Art School which is a non-profit art school available to anyone in the community.
- Food & Drink: For a unique Beer and Restaurant experience, visit the Boondocks Brewery in West Jefferson offers an extensive menu and daily specials featuring locally sourced ingredients. There is also the Ashe County Cheese Factory which has a factory viewing room as well as a gift shop or the Hotel Tavern Historic Restaurant which has been voted the best restaurant in Ashe County.
- Theater: Visit the Blue Ridge Dinner Theater in Glendale Springs for an awesome experience with great food as well as next level entertainment.
LENOIR & HICKORY AREA
- The Furniture Capital: Visit the Hickory Furniture Mart which has over 100 premier manufacturers and one of the most diverse furniture selection under one roof! Select from furniture, decorative accessories, lighting, artwork, fine oriental rugs or customizable fabrics to complement any home. There are also incredible discounts with up to 65-80% off of most standard retail prices. Located at 2220 US Highway 70 SE, Hickory, NC 28602.
- Family Fun: Bo’s Bodacious Family Entertainment in Lenoir offers many fun activities perfect for families such as laser tag, bowling, mini golf, and a HUGE arcade! Birthday parties are available as well as pizza and drinks! You don’t want to miss out on this awesome experience!
- Museum & The Arts: Visit the Wilkes County Heritage Museum and the Blue Ridge Music Hall of Fame which are both located at 100 East Main Street, Wilkesboro, NC 28697, afterwards, walk around the corner to view the luminous Ben Long Fresco in the historic St. Paul’s Episcopal Church..
- Distilleries: Learn why Wilkesboro is known as the “Moonshine Capital.” Take a behind the scenes tour and try a taste of moonshine at Copper Barrel Distillery or Call Family Distillers.